Expected Release Date: May 4, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Author’s Website: http://www.daniellemonsch.com/
My Source for This Book: Gift from the Author
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Scorching
Nevan’s life is nothing but duty and honor. The eldest son of a prestigious House, he has a life mapped out ahead of him, including mating a woman for whom he feels nothing but brotherly affection. But then one night he discovers a woman who makes his blood boil and his body hard.
Seena has known nothing but blood and pain in her life. A fighter for the BloodRing, she is nothing more than spectacle, her life and death meaningless except as entertainment for the masses. Then one night a male comes to her in secret with a bargain the likes of which she has never been confronted with. The ultimate fight, which will lead her either to freedom . . . or to his bed.
Nevan will allow nothing to stop him from possessing the human. On the Pleasure Satellite anything is permissible, and to the strongest goes everything.
What Worked For Me:
- I was glad that Seena wasn’t a virgin, and that her “training” in the erotic arts had been something she’d actually wanted to do. While the master/slave thing can be hotter than hell in stories, it can also easily cross the line into non-consensual, so in having Seena a bit experienced, as well as having been perfectly happy with any consequences of her losing the wager to Nevan, I was able to enjoy the story much more easily.
- Of course, this story was H-O-T. Seena wasn’t some wilting flower, and Nevan was a powerful warrior in his own right, and the chemistry between them was absolutely explosive.
- There was a pleasantly surprising amount of actual romance in this story. It’s easy to just assume that an erotica story will be short on plot due to the high levels of sensuality, but the love story between Nevan and Seena was not only sweet but was believable as well.
- On a similar note, I loved the chemistry between the main characters. Lots of people can write hot sex, but it takes a special skill to have true chemistry between characters, especially when their situations in life make it so that they should be enemies.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- As with most novellas, I wish it had been a full-length novel. I would especially have loved to have learned more about Seena’s past, both before she became a fighter, and afterwards.
Overall, I truly adored this story. It was highly erotic, exploring not only the lust and sex between Seena and Nevan, but also Seena’s own sexual past and fantasies. The chemistry between the characters was palpable, and Seena was written in a way that no reader should come away from the story feeling that she’d been taken advantage of, despite her position as “slave”.
Wonderfully romantic and incredibly sexy, this story is recommended for fans of alpha heroes torn between love and duty, of a warrior heroine finding bliss in the arms of a man she can have no future with, and of highly sensual love stories where happy endings are possible no matter what obstacles stand in the way.
A very sultry 4.5/5 Stars.