Expected Release Date: June 1, 2012 (Reissue)
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Imprint: Forever Yours
Author’s Website: http://www.anniesolomon.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm
A month ago Margo Scott was a book dealer with family and friends. Now, suddenly, she can’t remember the last four weeks of her life, everyone close to her has disappeared, and she’s the prime suspect in a murder. When an intruder attacks, she responds with lightning-quick moves she has no memory of ever learning.
Undercover agent Jake Wise has her in his sights and can’t decide if this mysterious woman is an assassin or a pawn. Is he tempted to protect her because she’s innocent or because he’s falling for her? Thrust together, these two loners realize that trusting each other is their only hope of survival.
What Worked For Me:
- I loved the mystery in this story. It was a long time before we are certain exactly who can be trusted, and the many shocking twists kept me on my toes for the entire experience.
- I absolutely adored the betrayal and uncertainty, and how it affected the relationship between Jacke and Margo.
- At first, I admit I was a little frustrated with the romance aspect — as in, it just didn’t seem all that romantic. However, as the story developed, the love scenes changed accordingly with their budding relationship, and I found myself impressed with what felt like an intentional shift in the sensuality.
- I really enjoyed the tough issue of “just following orders”. I won’t say too much as it’s a spoiler, but the story took a hard look at an issue that I think a lot of us skim over in matters of war and national security.
- While a bit light on the “romantic” part, the suspense element was fantastic, with ideal pacing and plenty of twists.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- As previously mentioned, this was less of a “Romantic Suspense” and more of a Suspense/Action with Romantic Elements. I think that some readers who seek out this book based on its Romantic Suspense designation may be a bit disappointed. The steamy scenes almost felt as though they were an afterthought rather than an integral part of the story, and so readers looking for a super-steamy read may wish to look elsewhere.
- I do believe the next book that contains forced nudity will have me writing an angry letter. To whom, I have no idea, but a letter nonetheless. It’s my biggest pet peeve, it was unnecessary, and it made me rather angry when I read it.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. With tons of action, a wonderful mystery, and plenty of plot twist, I couldn’t put it down. Amnesia, romance, spies, assassins, mystery, and adventure, all wrapped up into one fast-paced story.
The presence of forced nudity, and a lack of focus on the romantic elements of the story did pull my final rating down slightly, but I would still highly recommend this book for fans of Suspense/Action with a few Romantic elements tossed in.
A very solid 4.5/5 Stars.