Expected Release Date: December 26, 2102
Author’s Website: http://karinacooper.com/
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, St. Croix Chronicles
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Chaste
In the gleaming heights of Victorian London, a world of deception awaits an unconventional Society lady whose taste for adventure makes her a most formidable adversary…
Though Society demands that I make a good marriage, I, Cherry St. Croix, have neither the time nor the interest. I am on the trail of a murder with no victim, a mystery with no motive, and the key to an alchemical formula that could be my family’s legacy.
Yet the world is not so kind as to let me pursue simple murder and uncomplicated bounties. Above the foggy drift, an earl insists on my attention, while my friends watch my increasingly desperate attempts to remain my own woman. From the silken demands of the Midnight Menagerie—to whose dangerously seductive ringmaster I owe a debt—to the rigorous pressures of the peerage, all are conspiring to place before me a choice that will forever change my life.
What Worked For Me:
- The London that Ms. Cooper has created continues to be a favorite steampunk incarnation of mine.
- I love that Cherry is such a die-hard, kick-butt assassin down below the fog, and yet is still a shy, insecure woman when it comes to society and the ton. The dichotomy between the two always keeps the series fresh and Cherry’s character three-dimensional instead of the flat caricature that she could easily have been.
- I really enjoyed the mystery of this book.
- HFS the TWIST! *dies* *re-reads and dies again* I wish I could discuss this in my review, but I will not mess this up for you. Seriously though, I almost fell off of the bed when I was reading.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- The same twist I’m raving about? I’m also furious about.
- I was disappointed that there was no sex. Yes, yes, I know, this is Urban Fantasy and not Romance and as such, I shouldn’t expect sex, but even so, I was a bit disappointed. There’s such incredible chemistry between Cherry and some of the other characters that I was panting for some action, but alas, no such luck.
- This never counts for or against the final rating, but I didn’t really like the cover. Poor Cherry looks as though she’s about ready to fall out of that dress, which is not at all fitting with her character, either in her role as part of the nobility, or as a bounty hunter.
There is a twist in this story that changes everything. I want so badly to discuss it, but I refuse to ruin the surprise for anyone, and as such, I must leave you with the fact that while reading, I literally sat straight up in bed in shock at one point while reading. I have to admit, even though I was quite unhappy with the direction that the story took, that twist just knocked my socks off.
I’m dying to see where Ms. Cooper takes these characters, and have no doubt in my mind that whatever she has planned is going to blow my mind.
Even better than the first book, I would recommend this for any fan of steampunk, multifaceted characters, and intriguing mystery.
A resounding 5/5 Stars.
The St. Croix Chronicles Series Reading Order: