Expected Release Date: April 21, 2012
Publisher: Courtney Milan
Author’s Website: http://www.courtneymilan.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com
Part of a Series: Yes, Prequel Novella to The Brothers Sinister series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
She will not give up…
Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.
He cannot give in…
Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love…
What Worked For Me:
- Good gracious I adored Hugo. Ruthless and yet deep down far more honorable than he’d ever considered himself to be, at least in regards to Serena.
- Just like Hugo, I couldn’t help but be charmed by Serena’s determination, and the banter between the two left me all smiles.
- On a similar note, I think glimpses of Hugo’s ferociousness and determination made those moments when his conscience started to slip through so much more meaningful.
- I also enjoyed the dynamic between Serena and her sister, and how it gave so much depth to both characters.
- Hairpins. *swoons*
- The ending was probably one of the most satisfying endings I’ve read in romance in a very long time.
- I really enjoyed how the epilogue set up the forthcoming series, including glimpses at how the duke finally got his arse handed to him by his duchess.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- Honestly, I had to dig rather deeply for something that didn’t work for me. Since I have to choose something, I will say that having a heroine in Serena’s situation was a bit out of my comfort zone.
This novella was so, SO good. I tell you, Courtney Milan never fails to deliver, and I swear to you she packs more punch in a novella than most authors do in a full-length novel. With well-developed characters, a very believable conflict, beautifully romantic sensuality, and and ending that will make you cheer, this is easily going on my keeper shelf.
A wonderfully solid 5/5 Stars.
I loved this novella so much I’m going to give THREE lucky readers a copy! You MUST be able to receive Kindle eBook Gifts from the US Amazon store to win. *You do not have to have a Kindle eReader to be able to read Kindle books — you can read them on your computer using the Kindle Cloud Reader directly from the website, the free Kindle Reader for PC or Mac, and/or Kindle Reader Apps for your smartphone or tablet.