Expected Release Date: October 15, 2012
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: Bryn Donovan on Facebook
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
After David Girard inherits his family’s creepy old estate—a place that holds only tragic memories for him—he wants nothing to do with it. The sooner it’s out of his possession, the better, so he hires Andi Petrowski to fix it up for a quick sale. He’s immediately drawn to the feisty contractor, but he fears his father’s cruel legacy will ruin everything.
The moment Andi enters the Girard mansion, she’s haunted by disturbing visions. She tries to brush them off, but her attraction to David isn’t as easy to ignore. Their relationship soon crosses the line from professional to personal, despite his guarded nature and warnings about his dark past.
When the dreams and visions intensify into very real violence, David and Andi are desperate to uncover the evil threatening to possess him. Could Andi’s gifts be the key to uncovering the darkness within David? And will he be strong enough to break the family curse and protect the woman he loves?
What Worked For Me:
- I’ve always been a fan of stories with evil houses, and I really loved the twists and turns that this one took.
- I loved the possessions. So creepy and scary, and the details blended in so well with the pacing.
- There was quite a bit of steam and chemistry in this book as well. Even though I’m not typically a fan of whirlwind style romance, there was no denying the sparks that flew whenever David and Andi got together.
- I also enjoyed watching David overcome his (understandable) skepticism regarding Andi’s powers, as well as Andi’s own realization and acceptance that she wasn’t insane.
- The anger that the house provoked was wonderfully scary, especially as it became more and more dangerous as the story progressed.
- I adored Morty.
- I loved that the author chose not to go the hokey route in the final confrontation scene. There were so many ways that the story could have been ruined, but instead, we got a thrilling confrontation without any of the cheesiness one might have expected from this sort of story. Very well done.
- I’m always a fan of a good epilogue, and this was no exception.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- Although integral to the storyline, I was very uncomfortable with one particular scene involving David and Andi. I really don’t want to give spoilers, but I’m fairly certain anyone reading this title will understand which scene I’m referring to.
Deliciously sexy and fantastically creepy, this book was exactly the type of spooky story I was in the mood for this close to Halloween. Andi’s powers and David’s family history both added quite a bit of depth to the story, and the powerful attraction and chemistry between them definitely kept things heated up.
With plenty of steam and quite a few chills and thrills, I found myself thankful that I had to have my light on to read this one.
A wonderfully spooky 4.5/5 Stars.