Expected Release Date: May 26, 2014
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://kcburn.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 3, Galactic Alliance
Series Best Read In Order: Worked well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Forced Nudity
Favorite Tropes: Class Barrier
After nearly causing a galactic incident, fleet captain Gideon Arcturus is disgraced, demoted and exiled with nothing to do but pass the time at a seedy club on seedier planet Elora Ki. It’s no place for a straight-laced soldier, but following the rules is what got him there in the first place. When he meets a mesmerizing fire dancer, he’d do anything to get close to the flame.
Tai doesn’t date customers—it’s far too dangerous for a man who was once for sale. But the shy, awkward Gideon entices him, and the two spend Gideon’s leave tangled together, neither knowing the passion that stirs within them won’t soon subside.
When a violent drug lord forces Tai back into slavery, Tai has no choice but to give up his new love. But when Gideon learns that Tai’s fate lies with those who brought about his own ruin, he’ll need to revisit his own difficult past in order to save them both.
What Worked For Me:
- Mmmm I do love a good tale of hot lovin’ between two sexy men, and this one really fits the bill. Kai is stunning, and Gideon is nothing to sneeze at either. With Gideon’s need to keep a perfect reputation due to his status in the military, and Kai’s desire to avoid unwanted attention due to his past, their almost clandestine meetings added a delicious bit of secrecy to their rendezvous.
- I loved Kai’s tattoos, especially with the history behind them.
- Gideon’s reaction to the revelation to Kai’s past warmed my heart, no pun intended. It was lovely, especially since that was a huge concern for much of the story.
- Though I’ve read the previous installments of the series, I was pleased to discover that knowledge of the other books were not necessary to understand the events of this book. It’s been a long time since I’d read the other books, so while I had a passing memory of some of the characters when they were mentioned, I didn’t really need that knowledge to get me through this story.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the sub-plot that continued the overall story arc of the series. The drug trade on Elora Ki, and how it touches both Kai and Gideon’s lives, as different as they may be, resulted in some very thrilling action. I especially loved the revelation of just how different Kai was from those around him.
What Didn’t Work For Me:
- As strange as this may sound, I think there were just a few too many sexy times for my taste. Now, don’t get all excited — I do love me some hot man-on-man action — it’s just that at times it actually took away from the main storyline, and I found myself skimming a bit.
Believe it or not, I think there may have been just a little bit to much sex for my tastes. Don’t get me wrong, it was hot sex, but it was a lot, and sometimes got in the way of plot development.
Even so, it was an enjoyable take with two tortured protagonists, some action, a bit of intrigue, and lots of hot man on man action.
There was a little too much self hatred on the part of Kai for my tastes but given his background that was understandable.
I also liked that you didn’t have to be familiar with the series to follow along though obviously that would make your enjoyment of the overall story arc a little more satisfying.
Overall a very pleasant way to spend the day.